Sunday, November 22, 2009

Leeks!


It's never fun smooshing the slimy bodies of paralyzed green aphids off of the undersides of greens, but, alas, I was doing it again this evening, washing the mustard greens. I think the most dreaded part of gardening is spending the back-breaking hours washing produce.

And I learned my lesson with the leeks. Today I pulled ten FAT, LONG, WHITE leeks from the ground (every other one in the front bed, so that the others could continue to expand)! They are truly a success, and I owe part of their success to my friend S who gave me the babies. But I did learn my lesson in "hilling up" and making sure to avoid dirt in between the leaves. I should have hilled them up even more. The remaining ones are scrawnier and even more dirty.

2 comments:

  1. A! your leeks are looking great... sorry to have missed your blog till now.
    part of my apparent resolution of late is to do a better job of finding and sharing meaningful content to engage with on the internets. your blog is making me want to visit the big p sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! somehow i never get notified of comments on my blog...hmm, must change that. your blog is awesome as well and i hope to follow more meaningful communication as well. come visit! we'd all love to have you! and just think, you could eat leeks like THESE!

    ReplyDelete