Friday, September 17, 2010

Larvae Galore

I wish I had a picture for this, because it's very very disturbing. I've noticed a great quantity of black fly larvae in our compost tumbler. We got this new tumbler as a gift and it's EASY but I'm not used to the amount of insects it attracts. I suppose because they are truly contained in the bin, they are just easier to see.

Anyway, lately I have been going out to dump food scraps and in the handle depressions, there is maybe an inch of water. In this inch of water, there are about 30 inch long black larvae, all squirming around. I am not sure how they appear so quickly in the depressions after a day of rainfall, but they do! It looks like something from a sci-fi movie, all those larvae squirming about in the clear water.

Yuck! But it's all part of nature.

1 comment: